Why keep it to yourself?
1. People can pretend to be you and...
- Go on your social media accounts and send nasty posts / messages
- Sign you up to things
- When you are older borrow money pretending to be you (they get the money, you get to pay it back)
2. People can use it to stalk and harass you both online and in real life
Video showing how easy it is to get information about people
Shows how easy it can be to get Personal Information
Keep your Personal Information to yourself
Personal information is any information that tells a person or company something about you. You need to keep it private. It includes:
- Your name
- Phone numbers
- Email addresses
- User names for various sites
- Date of birth
- Photos of you
- Brothers and sisters names
- Your school (shows the area you live in)
- Bank account details
- Your parents names
- Finger prints or other biometric data
Companies want to have access to your information so they can better target products at you. Some companies will sell the data you have given them.
This would be illegal under the Data Protection Act except you probably gave them permission to do so when you signed up.