Why do people bully?
It’s never simple to say why someone starts being hurtful to other people. It takes professional months to get to the real reasons, but some of the main reasons are:
- They have their own problems and it makes them feel better to hurt others.
- They may want to be popular and might think that humiliating someone else will make them to look better
- Sometimes people choose to embarrass, upset, pick on or intimidate other people using the internet or a mobile phone because it feels safer this way -
they would be too scared to do it face to face
- Bullying someone over the internet is easier as it means the person doing the bullying can’t see how much it hurts the other person. This means they can feel more distant from what they are doing.
- Sending a nasty message or text can be done so quickly that the person doing the bullying might not think about how hurtful it is.
- Sometimes they have been bullied themselves and think it is normal.
Whatever the reason for them bullying, it is never acceptable.