What is a spreadsheet?
A spreadsheet is document which lets you organise data by using a grid or table layout. It then lets you perform calculations on that data to make it useful, and to help you answer questions.
Spreadsheets are often used to model (predict) what might happen if you change something, for example If we changed the price of entry tickets how much more or less money would we get.
Go to the Cell References page to start learning how to use a spreadsheet. The spreadsheet skills pages will show you the basics and one or two functions I find useful. They are not meant to be a comprehensive course.
Where are spreadsheets used?
- Managing simple finances for businesses
- Planning and budgeting for events (Like a party)
- Storing and analysing pupil grades
- Questionnaires and analysing the answers
- Modelling supermarket queues
- Modelling traffic flow
- Modelling stress loads on bridges
- Making graphs
- Collecting and analysing results from Science experiments
There are a lot of other uses too - this website has some interesting ideas